dna's corner

My ramblings. My thoughts. Your feedback. Your thoughts. Simple.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Out here to make a living, live a life and leave a mark.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Parted Away

My key chain feels lighter.
My purse feels heavier.
My heart feels lighter.
My frequent traveler bus miles feels heavier.
The earth says I am lighter.

Sold my car. One less key in my key chain. My dear car that served me so well, in rain and shine, and in snow - in all quantities is off my service. It was there for me when I needed it. Never once uttering a word or disobeying. Whatever be the condition. That's what I liked about it. It talked softly and worked hard. The engine was extremely smooth and sweet. And the response to my commands - just right. Not too responsive. Never under responding.

Features I miss so much when I drive those all electronics rental cars. You stamp the gas and it takes its own sweet time to decide if it has to accelerate and then blurps once before catching up with my desired speed. If I turn the steering, thinks for a second before deciding to execute my turn. I feel it just does that to irritate me. Thanx to all the mechtronics with the tronics part literally taking over the mechs.

Contrary to popular beliefs, not having a car saves a lot of time. Like not having to go to places I don't have to go. Reading useful stuff in a book or newspaper rather than road signs and bill boards while traveling. Chatting with a co-passenger instead of shouting obscenities at the guy in the adjacent car. It also helps me do nice things like watching the people on the bus and the road, enjoying the passing scenery instead of keeping an eye for morons behind wheels, speedometer behind the speed limit and a cop behind me.

And you know what pisses me off the most about owning a car? Paying for insurance. Yes I need the financial security for making sure I am fully covered if I do something stupid on the road or if someone does something stupid. But from what I hear, insurance companies are more than glad not to help their customers. So much so, there are so many I know who are reluctant to go to the insurance company after an accident because their premium will go up so much, it would be cheaper to get a loan and pay for the repair rather than get it from the insurance company. The premiums sky rocket so much for so long, it gives a new meaning to the advice that you are paying for your mistakes in your previous birth. Heck we even pay for mistakes committed by others in their previous birth. The worst part is, even if it is not my mistake, my premium will go up.

Looks like the only reason why we buy insurance is because the government mandates it. I thought it was called tax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home