dna's corner

My ramblings. My thoughts. Your feedback. Your thoughts. Simple.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Out here to make a living, live a life and leave a mark.

Friday, July 23, 2004

New card

Got a new credit card by mail and unlike what I do with most unsolicited cards that I receive, I am going to keep this one. It touched my heart like no other card has ever before. Wondering why? It has my full name. No letters lost. You might think big deal. But with a name that is 25 characters long, its a once in a life time happening for me. My name has been chopped, murdered, spoilt, tossed around in every credit card that I have received till now. And this card comes in the mail with my name intact. Exactly how it should be. Should I thank the credit card company for sqeezing in my name or the postal department for the safe handling? But actually I don't care much. As long as they keep the name sufficiently long and resembles my name, its fine.

Having a long name and a longer last name brings with it a nice set of conversation appetizers. The typical cute girl at the counter looks at my name in the card and goes wow. (It could be that she looked at me and went awe but pretended looking at my cc. Just one of my pet theories. Never bother). Then she picks a conversation with me. It typically goes like this:

CGC (Cute Girl at the Counter) : You have such a long name. How did you tell your name to your teacher as a kid?
D to himself: Shd I lie that I cud handle any tough tongue twister even as a kid??? Na.. take a safe route.
D: Wow that was fast. I just gave you my card and you already completed reading my name. You are pretty (pause for a few seconds till her eyes expand and winks once) fast in reading and comprehending.
CGC: Come on. That's nothing. I used to ...
(At this point I stop listening and think of the best place I can take her for dinner ).
D: So how about discussing more about this and other stuff over dinner at Taco Bell?
CGC: Hmm... But can I bring my boy friend along? He would be interested in your name too.
D Talking to himself.: Heck she is interested only in my name and not in me.
D To No longer Cute GC: Actually I just remembered I promised to take my girl friend to a movie. Better luck next time.
D again to himself: Better luck next time.

And after trying to use my credit card for the umpteenth time, however small the purchase, so that I can pick up a conversation, I end up disappointed, staring at my card and thinking - 'will it ever help me?'.

But me being myself, never losing hope in me, my name and my credit card, I am continuing in my pursuit of ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home