dna's corner

My ramblings. My thoughts. Your feedback. Your thoughts. Simple.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Out here to make a living, live a life and leave a mark.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

It will have the same effect on you as an earth quake would have on a building. Atleast it had on me. I was shaken. Not that what was shown in the movie was news to me. Yet each time I see or read about it, I am shaken. It has shaken quite a few people too.

But like the buildings in the western world designed to withstand shockers, I continue to wosh, think about it a bit, may be discuss it with few others who would also feel similarly and then go back tomorrow to work.

Yet may be, one day, hopefully, the shockers will stop. Or say this is it and do something concrete.

I am shamelessly copying a view on the movie from IMDB and leave the rest to you.
Review from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395169/
by Maggie


"I have no doubt that this is the only movie for the past year that can get me totally, if not 101%, emotionally involved. For other movies, I might be interacting with the story a lot , say associating my personal experiences with the characters, making judgment on them, criticizing the development of the story, ways of expression, the cinematography, acting, etc. BUT, Hotel Rwanda simply took me over as I was watching it. My emotion was going along with Paul ( Don Cheadle) all the time. The director did a great great job in capturing the feelings of people facing uncertainty, horror, ridicules, anger, death, waning faith... Family, life and dignity/integrity become the largest things in the situation. What's more is that it squarely shows the realist thinking in international politics.It honestly shows the weakness or helplessness of the UN and the non-governmental organizations. It truthfully tells how indifferent most of the international community (or individuals, which may or may not include you and me) are towards the deprivation of social justice taking place in other parts of the world. It makes you question to what extent that it is true to say what we see ( the sufferings in the world) is what we tolerate. It shows you how monstrous human being can be. It scares you how sanity would fail. At the same time, the uglier the people become, the more beautiful you find those who have managed to keep brave and maintain humanity. The movie fully succeeds in showing me the spirit, faith, and compassion that the world is dreaming for."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home